[modeleng] Re: Brass dome cover for Tinkerbell

  • From: "alan Stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:13:21 -0000

I have watched professional metal spinning and it is awesome when they do
large items.
Makes my modest efforts look pitiful, which they were.

I would reckon that size to be way beyond what one could spin with a
"domestic" lathe. Actual spinning lathes are massive beasts, with extremely
substantial bearing assemblies.
However, if you do decide to try it, you would need to use deep drawing
(cartridge) brass.

I would think the two-part suggestion is better, and the silver soldered
joint shouldnt be conspicuous, and could be coloured to make it even less
so.

For that size, I would look for a local spinning firm, as Phil Smith
suggests. There are quite  few around still, and most would probbly charge
far less than one would imagine.

As alternatives, cast one.
If you need a polished brass finish, you could always plate whatever metal
it was made from, if not brass.

Alan Stepney

http://www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering & steam engine information pages