[modeleng] Re: Brass dome cover for Tinkerbell

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 12:16:07 -0000

Hello Peter,

I 've made a steam dome cover for a 5" Britannia. It is much smaller and
shallower than your dome but I made it in one piece by metal spinning. It
was remarkably easy and the end result was, and still is first class. I used
Guilding Metal which is sort of half way between copper and brass. The only
real problem I had was that the tool I used to form the shape tended to
groove the job as the hardwood was too soft. This was easily solved by
soaking the former in resin, annealing the guilding metal and starting
again. I would certainly make the hemisphere by spinning a circular sheet of
metal.
The flare to match the boiler barrel was done by putting a flare onto the
spun item then gently tapping the sides down over a cylindrical former. The
only trick is to take it easy and anneal the job as soon as it starts
springing back.

Barrie