[modeleng] 3.5" gauge Diesel

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 22:47:46 +0000 (GMT)

Hi there All,

I was wondering about trying something different for my next project,
perhaps a 3.5" gauge loco using an off the shelf internal combustion
engine (don't worry I'm not giving up on steam).

There are some video's of it having been done here in 0 gauge and gauge 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSwha_Ug7sk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6evZjlUpfW8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpl3Eq-wfoE

...but I would only want to give this a go if I could avoid having
something with that annoyingly high reving engine noise that frequently
accompanies this kind of locomotive.

Looking on the Honda website, they have a unit, the GX25

http://engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/gx25

...but a quick click on the "Performance curve" tab on the page would
suggest we're looking at 4000RPM minimum, which seems a bit high.

Also I'm supposing that I should be avoiding anything 2 stroke if I want
less noise, though I am beginning to wonder for very small engines whether
the 2 stroke equivalent might be slightly slower running, and thus
quieter, though this is based on very few observations.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions or thoughts in relation to
all this?

I don't suppose anyone has any experience of one of these actually
running:

http://malden-dsme.co.uk/public/Pictures/slideshow/1960_LMS_0-6-0_1831.jpg

http://www.modelengineerslaser.co.uk/locoparts.asp?loconum=289&locotype=4

...?