[modeleng] Re: 3.5" gauge Diesel

  • From: Jerome Kimberlin <kimberln@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 17:41:15 -0800

On 1/26/2013 2:47 PM, R.L. Roebuck wrote:
> I was wondering about trying  something different for my next project,
 > perhaps a 3.5" gauge loco using an off the shelf internal combustion
 > engine (don't worry I'm not giving up on steam).

I could see this in a larger scale.  In fact I've always wanted a true
diesel electric.  But the single cylinder gas engines are ugly sounding.

 > ...but I would only want to give this a go if I could avoid having
 > something with that annoyingly high reving engine noise that
 > frequently accompanies this kind of locomotive.

Exactly my position.  I wonder if that Honda you mention is small enough
for  3.5 gauge?  I doubt it sounds very good.

>  http://engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/gx25

 > Does anyone out there have any suggestions or thoughts in relation to
 > all this?

My problem is that I'd like at least a 6-cyl engine so that the sound is
more or less correct.   This could be mated up to a permanent magnet
alternator of about 1 kw.  That should be plenty to drive a couple of
motors set into the bogies even if a battery has to be used as ballast.
The trouble is, there are no six cylinder engines available that I know
of.  Would be nice to have a small 5-hp diesel or petrol multi-cylinder
engine.  Any model engineers out there who want to build one?

http://malden-dsme.co.uk/public/Pictures/slideshow/1960_LMS_0-6-0_1831.jpg
 >http://www.modelengineerslaser.co.uk/locoparts.asp?loconum=289&locotype=4

We have an 1831 in our club (GGLS) and I've seen it run.  The problem
with it is the transmission system as originally suggested. The disk and
friction wheel arrangement tends to get oily and slips badly.  At this
point it hasn't been seen in 20 years because the builder/owner is no
longer able to transport anything due to arthritis.  I still see him
every Sunday, however.

JerryK
Richmond, CA