[modeleng] Re: 3.5" gauge Diesel

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 23:40:57 -0000

Hi Rich.,

50 odd years of playing with model aircraft enforces my view that model I.C.
engines are best suited to model aircraft, then boats but not miniature
locomotives.

You are right to be concerned about the noise - it's annoying at best. Many
efforts have been made to silence model aircraft engines but nobody has
achieved to sort of noise levels we have come to expect from our
steam/electric locos. Another problem is the smell - it just doesn't go with
a loco and without a propeller to blast it away it hangs around. Finally the
fuel is pretty obnoxious containing methanol and nitromethane which will
strip the paint off your treasured possession unless you use certain paints.

Most of these model engines are not diesels - they are glow engines and
require a battery to heat the glow plug before they will start. Model diesel
engines aren't diesels either - they are compression ignition engines which
are difficult to throttle, vibrate more than a glow and use a fuel
containing ether and amyl nitrate.

If you really want to have a go at this branch of the hobby I would go for
the Honda. It's a four stroke petrol engine which will be quieter and use
less exotic fuel than a model aircraft engine and ....it's a Honda!

Cheers,

Barrie