[macvoiceover] Re: Mac question

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 08:39:27 -0700

Hi Marcy,
Have you found a way to scan a lot of pages and ocr and save them all
into the same file?  Is the scanning and ocr process seamless? Or do
you first have to scan, then do a separate ocr process after each
scanned page or after some defined number of pages, then save the
results to a file and only then see how the scan is turning out? Can
you scan one document while reading a different one? Can you set it up
so that you can  start the scanning process and then just flip pages,
not having to restart the scanner for each page? How about accessing
and changing scanning or ocr settings accessibly?  If you accidentally
turn two pages at once, can you go back and fill in a missing page with
ease? Or if a page recognizes badly, can you rescan that page and have
it insert into the file replacing the badly recognized one? Can you
scan directly into a word processor such as IWork's Pages? Make audio
files using the voice of the Mac if you'd like to take the books on the
go on some other device such as an IPod and prefer to read using Alex
rather than the voices on the phone? How about setting bookmarks or
writing margin notes as study aids?

I'm not knocking programs like FR Express if they meed your needs,
although I have been told that the ocr settings are not accessible to
VO, which would be a show stopper for me, even if I wasn't scanning
books. I'm raising all these questions to point out that its important
to say what sort of stuff you do with your scanning/ocr programs so
that people who see the messages get a context.  And I certainly didn't
mean this to pick on you or any other individual personally. But since
peoples' needs and perceptions of what is important for them are so
different, I think it helps to place evaluative comments into a context
of how one uses an application, so that others reading the message can
better judge whether a given solution is worth investigating further
for themselves.

Mary