[macvoiceover] Re: Mac question

  • From: Olivia Norman <olivianorman@xxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 20:05:33 -0700

Hi,
I will try my best to debunk these myths one at time:
1. You can absolutely read documents created on a PC on a mac.  The program to
do this is called iWork, and it costs $79.
2. Both excel and word files can easily be read and edited using iWork or open
office.
3. How expensive is Jaws? Last I checked, Jaws cost the price of a macbook and
then some.  This is just for a screen reader, which makes a computer somewhat
accessible. It doesn't even cover the cost of a computer.  With a mac, the
screen reader is part of the computer, and can bepurchased for a fraction of
the cost of the PC with screen reading software.  Consider that a screen reader
will run you in the neighborhood of $1000 to $1200, on top of the cost of the
computer, while a mac will cost you $1200 at the most, with accessibility
included.
5. Apple products are extremely easily fixed, just take them to an Apple store,
or call Apple care, and they will insure that everything is fixed and in
working order.  I'd like to see another computer company that offers
comprihensive coverage in the same way that Apple does.
6. For scanning needs, try Abby fine reader for the mac.  I'll let others weigh
in here who haveb more experience, but as far as I understand it, there are
plenty of scanning programs which ewill meet your needs.
7. Macs have drivers for many common printers, scanners, etc, and what drivers
Apple doesn't have installed are easy to get.
I hope that this helps you, and that you seriously consider the mac and all the
amazing things Apple offers.  If you have anymore questions, please don't
hesitate to contact me.  I have used a mac for three years now, and would never
Apple is the best company around, and they truly offer solutions that work for
everyone!
Olivia
"Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower", Steve Jobs