[macvoiceover] Re: ATTENTION GREGG

  • From: Greg Williams <greg.williams.1978@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 00:44:36 -0500

Hi,
The normal method of command-f for find will not work in safari's html content. It seems that in any view where the text must be read with the VO cursor and cannot be read with the keyboard cursor, the standard find command will not work. The only way to do a find in safari is to use the "item chooser menu". Interact with the html content by using VO-shift-down arrow, and then bring up the menu with VO-i. This will present an alphabetical list of every item on the screen which can be read by arrowing through the list. It will list every button and link and chunk of html. That is every item that you would hear by moving around the html with the VO cursor will be a separate item. Once you are in the menu, typing a string of characters will narrow the list to only those items containing that string. So typing mac would narrow the list to anything containing "mac", "machine", or "smack". Once you have found the item you are interested in, VO-spacebar will put the VO cursor on that item in the page. (For some reason it does not put you in the right spot unless you have already interacted with the html content before you bring up thee menu.) It is a bit frustrating not being able to use the normal find command or to select portions of text, but at least this will work as an alternative find method. If it is a large page, it will take several seconds for the menu to collect all of the items. Hitting esc will quit the menu, and hitting the delete key will expand the list back to the full list of items if the narrowed list doesn't contain what you were looking for. I hope that helps. If this isn't clear, let me know.
"The less knowledgeable" Greg

On Aug 7, 2007, at 1:27 PM, Larry Harper wrote:

Hello Greg,

(this is a message from my tech assistant)

We are unable to make the found text gain VO focus - even with a VO- F6. I have even tried changing some VO settings. Attached are two screenshots of my VO, do you think I have conflicting settings? <pastedGraphic.png><pastedGraphic.png>
Thank you,
Larry & Kevin Ginger http://kginger.com
Larry Harper
http://www.sightlosssolutions.org
ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Jul 23, 2007, at 5:45 AM, Greg Kearney wrote:

In MacOSX searching is done at the application level. I assume here that you are reading a book in Safari. You would press command-F which will open Safari's search dialog type in your search term and then use VO-F6 to take you to the selected content which will be the first found selection command-G will move the selection to the next found word. This works in all Cocoa based text applications, TextEdit, Mail, etc.

Greg Kearney
On Jul 23, 2007, at 06:25 , Larry Harper wrote:

IN THIS CASE I WANT TO SEARCH IN A ONLINE HTML BOOK.

HOWEVER, FOR FUTURE REFERENCE HOW DO YOU SEARCH IN A TEXT EDIT FILE ?

BY SEARCHING I MEAN FINDING A PARTICULAR WORD.

LARRY.

Larry Harper
http://www.sightlosssolutions.org
ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Jul 22, 2007, at 6:40 PM, Greg Kearney wrote:

Are us using TextEdit? Safari? what program are you in?

Greg
On Jul 22, 2007, at 17:16 , Larry Harper wrote:

HI GREGG,

I NEED YOUR EXPERT ADVICE AGAIN.

outSPOKEN CAN SEARCH A TEXT FILE FOR A PARTICULAR WORD WITH THE COMMAND...

- SCROLL-TOP-FIND

CAN VoiceOver DO THE SAME OFFLINE OR ONLINE IN EITHER TEXT OR HTML ?

I CANNOT FIND THIS VO CAPABILITY IN ITS HELP FILE.

THANKS, CHEERS AND OVER,

Users can subscribe to this list by sending email to macvoiceover-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Webinterface at //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover