[lit-ideas] Re: ye olde political mindset

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 18:38:47 -0400

The term 'humane' is generally intended to define a response or attitude which takes into consideration fellow-feeling, compassion, empathy, justice and other values which we ascribe to ourselves alone. (Surely we intend the term to exclude the animal world -- although, just as surely, animals are sometimes more 'humane' than we humans.)

For "humane," Merriam-Webster gives, "marked by compassion, sympathy, or consideration for humans or animals."

I believe my desire to see the Hez transformed into a nonmilitary organization with no ties to Iran is indeed a humane desire.

As for CR's, "birth pangs of a New Middle East," I think it is a far more humane formulation than those "death to Israel" remarks coming from Ahmadinejad.