[lit-ideas] Re: with or without Bush

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 01:03:10 -0400

Eric says: "If everything is "Bush," then we can't really complain
about "Bush" because there's nothing but "Bush" out there, and hence nothing
which we can compare "Bush."  It's "Bushes" all the way down."

S.S. says: "If" is a mighty big word. It covers a multitude of sins. And
Eric, with your "if," you seem to be trying to exonerate our fearless leader
of all his sins: his lying, his taking from the poor and giving to the rich,
his lying, his support for big big industry against the public interest, his
lying, his successful attempts at calling those who disagree with him
anti-American, his lying, etc.

And talk about hyperbole: you've done a good job of sparing the guy any
accountability .who's brought America to its lowest point in our history.
Created the biggest deficit. Sucked all the oxygen out of the Federal
Treasury. Hurt more of the poorest of the poor than Herbert Hoover. Cut
Veterans benefits in the name of supporting our troops. Claims to leave no
child behind by cutting school lunches for the poor. Claims our environment
is better off because of the freedom he's given big corporate polluters.
Says the elderly are better off with his prescription drug "benefit" now
that Medicare is forbidden to negotiate for lower drug prices.

Next thing you'll do is call him "an idealist" like David Brooks in
describing what he did in Iraq.  Instead of calling Bush a moron, it makes
more sense to call him an oxymoron.

Stan Spiegel
Portland, Maine