[lit-ideas] Re: with or without Bush

  • From: dsavory@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 10:59:30 -0700

Quoting Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxx>:

All of this appalling, depressing, disastrous situation  - yes, Eric
and Andreas, *all* of it - is due to the greed and stupidity of the
Bush administration.

Alas, you are wrong here, or not as right as you could be: successive
administrations culminating in Bush's administration have been greedy and
stupid. US foreign policy has, for 150 years, been largely pernicious and
nasty, and resulted in very few pastoral democracies. Interventions by the US
(and English, French and Germans)in the Middle East has resulted for the
people there in little more than oppression, exploitation and humiliation.

And don't go blasting the government like it's a runaway train out of control:
the problem is with all of us: with our 3 second attention span, our
distinterest in history and our adolescent tendency to shirk responsiblity for
our role in that history; that's all of us, even us disaffected Canadians who
only raise our heads out of our feed troughs to moo mild disapproval. If we're
not holding the appropriate feet to the fire, we're not doing enough.

David Savory
voicing his semi-potent rage
in Vancouver