[lit-ideas] Re: well, it's heating up....

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 17:59:46 -0500

Omar: Well, Eric, I am not sitting on a pile of nukes so I guess I'm kind of missing the joke. It sounds to me like the US is threatening to attack a country again, and that country is bracing to defend itself as best as it can. Which of this is supposed to be funny, exactly?

Eric: It's funny that the despots who rule Iran are enlisting martyrs in a cynical attempt to promote their own power and care nothing about the lives of their citizens. The motives of the ruling elite in Iran are so horrid that the only response to their bluster is laughter. Besides, I'm all cried out over this one.

If Iran were really "defending itself" rather than defending the power of a few despots, we would all be friends, and work toward reducing all nuclear weapons rather than increasing the danger to humanity. Even the notorious and dubious John Bolton sees it clearly. If he can see it clearly, surely the ruling Mullahs can.

Iran can solve nuclear crisis by following Libya's example: US

NEW YORK (AFP) -
Iran could defuse international concerns over its nuclear program by following the example of Libya, the US ambassador to the UN, John Bolton, said in an interview.

Libya renounced weapons of mass destruction in 2004, leading to a rapprochement between Washington and Tripoli after 24 years of isolation and sanctions.

Asked if the dispute over Iran's nuclear ambitions could be resolved through diplomacy, Bolton told Time Magazine: "Sure. I never would have guessed that Libya was prepared to make the calculation that they were safer giving up the pursuit of nuclear weapons than continuing to go after them, and yet they did (give them up).

"And that led to substantial progress in the relationship between Libya and the United States. If Libya can do it, Iran can do it too."

Bolton added: "That's why I say the decision ultimately is largely in their hands."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060219/pl_afp/uspoliticsdiplomacyun_060219215744;_ylt=A86.I0_L9fhDaFwBwRQUewgF;_ylu=X3oDMTA2ZGZwam4yBHNlYwNmYw--