[lit-ideas] Re: well, it's heating up....

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 18:44:18 -0800

Ursula,

Your argument is the moral equivalence argument.  It implies there is no
moral difference between the Islamists and us.  Do you really believe that?

You might be interested in Paul Berman's Terror and Liberalism.  Berman is a
Liberal who was appalled at the Liberals who, in effect, supported Saddam
Hussein during the war with his regime.  He didn't agree with Bush's reasons
for fighting against Saddam.  He preferred purer reasons.  He thought we
should overthrow Saddam's regime because it was the right thing to do.
Liberals should stand for good against evil.  There was no excuse for
arguing that Saddam's regime should be left alone.  Saddam's regime was a
blight upon humanity, an offense to Liberals everywhere and should be
overthrown.  Liberals should have supported that overthrow rather than
opposed it.

And if you now, in effect, support the equally evil regime in Tehran, you
fall under the same criticism Berman leveled against his political
compatriots back in 2003 when he wrote his book.

What does Liberalism stand for?  If it stands for defending Saddam Hussein's
regime and the present regime in Tehran, then where is its moral compass?

Lawrence