[lit-ideas] Re: well, it's heating up....

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 15:02:55 -0800

Ursula,

There is no universal principle that says one attack is just like another.
The forces of Adolph Hitler and the forces of the Allies were not just like
each other except in the sense that everyone had guns, tanks, planes, etc.
We believed that the Allies had right on our side.  Sure the Germans
believed right was on their side, but that made no difference.  We knew it
was on our side.  Perhaps this sounds specious to you, but unless you can
make up your mind about which side you are on; then you are going to remain
on a fence not able to decide whether you think America or Iran is the side
you want to support.  Get away from moral equivalence and move over to self
defense.

I suspect our society has had it soft for far too long.  We don't know how
to recognize, let alone deal with an enemy.  In older simpler times one
could say, "Quick, hon, get the kids into the wagon, they're shooting at us
- and toss out my rifle."  But now the shots are so remote and not quite at
us and who knows maybe the people being shot at were doing something wrong
way off there in New York City.  Perhaps they deserved it.

We (including New York City despite its weirdness) do not deserve to be
attacked.  We are a nation with a right to self-defense and we are engaged
in exercising that right as we speak.  We aren't bound by a U.N. that did
the best it could right after World War II and knew nothing about asymmetric
warfare.  We have the right to defend ourselves and if it makes sense to
preempt a nation's nuclear capability before he gets a chance to use it on
us or our allies; then we ought to do it.

Lawrence