[lit-ideas] Re: philosophical dreams

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 10:45:37 -0500

I did dream about argument parts once, way back when I was teaching critical thinking. This is what I wrote at the time....

There were students and friends all over the dream. The words written over the door were, “Arguments are like civil servants. They fade into the background until you train yourself to notice them.” And all over the lawn, there were premises and conclusions pulled up by their hair so as to be noticeable above the civil service green. It was obvious, but not quite as obvious as this telling makes it seem. The premises and conclusions had content, but they didn’t require saying or reading. They just were.