[lit-ideas] Re: interaction of polls and public opinion

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 05:20:39 EDT

I was going to post and say I thought it was Humpty Dumpty but didn't trust
my own memory.  One of the few times I should have.  My husband is  from
Minnesota, history of semi-English speaking (what he calls)  "Scandahoovians)
and
pronounces it "Humpity Dumpity".  I make him say  it from time to time because
it cracks me up.

Julie Krueger
easily amused

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: interaction of
polls and public opinion  Date: 10/25/2006 12:29:42 A.M. Central Standard Time
From: _rpaul@xxxxxxxxx (mailto:rpaul@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> But, hey, as Tweedledee and Tweedledum  observed, words can mean what we
want
> them to mean.

'When I use a  word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, 'it means
just what I  choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice,  'whether you can make words mean so many
different things.'

'The  question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master--that's  all.'

Robert Paul
The Tweed  Institute