[lit-ideas] Re: interaction of polls and public opinion

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:30:14 +0900

On 10/25/06, Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I suppose there's no point in asking what my unsupported assertion is, if
essentially you're saying you're right and I'm wrong.  I hardly agree with
Tweedledee and Tweedledum given that I think words have to be defined
before being used.

The unsupported assertion is the bit that reads,

"I would think once 'theory' is appended, the concept is no longer a
meme; it moves into the realm of science, and in fact evolution is
embraced by all scientists.
Likewise the Big Bang.  Saddam's keeping WMD is a meme, i.e., an
unsupported allegation that began as an effort to manipulate public opinion
and then lived on as fact until disproved."

You quite properly own the suggestion by saying "I would think."
Support requires appeal to other sources. The only other source you
mention is Miriam Webster, which provides a definition perfectly
consistent with my usage, which is, thus, supported where yours is
not.

QED

John

--