[lit-ideas] Re: interaction of polls and public opinion

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:37:39 +0900

On 10/25/06, Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm having a hard time seeing opposition to the war as a meme.  Book after
book, article after article have been written recounting factual bases for
opposition to it.  Support for the war is much sooner a meme, i.e., simply
a belief, in this case countervailed by opposition based in reality.

No need to take "meme" too seriously. In my message it's just an
abbreviation for "cultural phenomenon." There is, moreover, no reason
whatever to assume that a meme has no factual basis. Thus, for
example, both Intelligent Design and the Theory of Evolution are
memes. The factual foundation for the latter is much, much stronger.

John

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN