[lit-ideas] Re: amazing employment application questions

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 15:00:05 -0700

> ...never asked about "working w/out reasonable accommodations".

ck: Is this an application for the public sector--ie, city, county, state, or
fed government? That would explain the application's lingo.

As a rule, private companies don't have to comply with the Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA) unless the company does business with the government.
Then, some ADA statutes apply.

So, as a rule again, people who need reasonable accommodations in order to do
("succeed at") the job are well-advised to work for the government, since it is
mandated to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. One mandate is
non-discrimination in employment--in hiring, advancement, and in treatment on
the job. (Employer must have the company picnic in an accessible park, or
arrange for some way to transport people with disabilities in a respectful
manner. It happens...)

Carol,
typing 10 wpm with a drippy nose

        Date: 6/6/06 12:00:14 P.M. Central Daylight Time
        From: judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Sent on:

  >Before I was a full-time Mom these absurdities were not
  >on the appications.

  Absurdities?  (Was the ADA passed after you became a full-time
  Mom?)

  Judy Evans, Cardiff