[lit-ideas] Re: amazing employment application questions

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 20:40:29 -0700

>Again -- that phrase -- "with our without reasonable accommodations".  (And
>>just the term "accommodation" is so broad .....what the blazes counts as an
>>accommodation?)

ck: The phrase that stymies you is legalese from the ADA. (Does that help?)
You're not supposed to understand it, you mere job applicant, you. But if it
applies to you--if you have a disability and know it--you're expected to expect
it, and understand it enough to know, in advance, precisely what types of
"accommodations" you would need to perform the job as if you had no disability.
In a nutshell, the phrase means, "Do you need any help whatsoever in performing
the job functions we set out in our job description?"

Ah. That's one essential element here, to pun it off. Job descriptions are
written with "essential" job qualifications, essential tasks, and desirable.
When you apply for any job that uses this job breakdown, you are expected to be
able to perform "the essential functions of the job." If you're in doubt as to
what those are, check the job description again. Chances are good that it's in
there, if they're using ADA lingo.

So let's say typing 100 wpm is considered "essential" to the job. You can
dictate at least that fast, using Dragon, but you can't "type" at all because
you have no hands. You *can* perform the essential typing function of the job
("typing" being shorthand for producing a text) but you must have "reasonable
accommodations" to do so--that is, a computer that accepts Dragon, a copy of
Dragon (or permission to use your own at the worksite), and permission to use a
voice-activated computer at your workstation, in the workplace. This last can
be a sticking point--the "reasonable accommodation" you're asking for, in this
case, amounts to changing the way the office works, to some degree. So you
might need to be prepared to negotiate with the employer about a private
office, or sound panels, or some other way that voice activation won't
interfere with your co-workers.

Getting the gist of "reasonable accommodations"? A little bit?

Carol

        Date: 6/5/06 9:45:22 P.M. Central Daylight Time
        From: rpaul@xxxxxxxx
        To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Sent on:

  JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

  >  > So, let's say I'm paralyzed from the waist down in a wheelchair, but
  >  > my clerical skills are outstanding (if I do say so myself).  So
  >  > they're asking me if I am able to perform the clerical duties if the
  >  > building does not have wheelchair access?

  No. They're asking if you can do it if you have reasonable
  accomodations, _if you need them_, (a ramp, or whatever). That is, can
  you type at all, independently of whether you need any special
  accomodations?

  David wrote:

  > It's a very odd question:

  > "Will you be able to perform the essential job functions for the
  > position you are applying for with or without reasonable
  > accommodations?"

  It isn't the most deftly worded question, but it's pretty clear to me.
  The reading light example is about as transparent as I can make it. I
  suspect that David and Julie are just ambulance chasing. As it were. So
  to speak. 'You ask a philosopher a question and after he or she has
  talked for awhile you no longer understand your own question.' [Philippa
  Foot]

  Robert Paul
  reed.edu