[lit-ideas] Re: Who's Crazy? We Are

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 13:34:22 -0400

>A.A. Implicit in this is that violence against boys is acceptable.  Do you
>think it is?

No, not acceptable -- inevitable. I'm just saying that putting out such a
statistic [like 100% of boys are victims of assault by age 18 is absolutely
meaningless]. It doesn't tell us anything and it's actually deceitful,
precisely because they include silly things like affirmative answers to
'have you ever had a wrestling match with a friend get out of hand' or
'have you ever engaged in after-the-whistle pushing and shoving in a sports
event?'. My point is that if you throw a big enough net, you'll eventually
catch all the fish under whatever rubric you throw.  You can prove anything
if you relax your limitations enough. If you use the same kind of criteria
for boys as you do for girls then you MUST conclude that the man abuse
problem is out of hand, when in fact, it simply isn't. In other words, of
course spousal/child abuse is not to be condoned, but the 'problem' simply
isn't as far-reaching as it is purported by certain interested parties. And
everyone includes things to beef up their numbers when those things are
actually "outliers".

> > It all depends on how you define 'mental illness'. It all depends on what
> > 'violence' is. It all depends...
>
>A.A.  I define violence as anything that invades my personal space without
>my consent.  I find that kind of invasion unacceptable.  How do you define
>violence?

Well, a friend of mine was convicted, not just charged, but CONVICTED of
assault for yelling at someone. I don't think yelling is violence. Was that
prick who charged him with yelling a victim of violence? No, but he should
be in the future if karma really does work.

not as pissed off as I come across,
paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx