[lit-ideas] Re: Who's Crazy? We Are

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 13:24:15 -0400

Pharma makes it profitable for doctors to give out drugs.  They actually
keep track of how many prescriptions doctors write and adjust their
marketing of the doctors accordingly.  It's high pressure sales with lots
of expensive freebies thrown in.  It's why the drugs have to be so
expensive, since vacations, uh, seminars, are not cheap.

Andy Amago

REASON to
> be depressed for at least a minute.  I did not  need, nor did I ever
take,
> the anti-depressants!   And she (the GP in  question) didn't even
administer the
> slightest battery of tests.  Of course  the samples were to be followed
up by
> an expensive filled script.  I don't  blame this all on the pharms.  I
blame
> a good deal of it on a very narrow  and bizarre notion of what mentally
> healthy looks like in America.  Of  course, since a requirement for
subscription to
> this list is moderate  insanity......
>
> Julie Krueger
>
> ========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Who's Crazy? We
Are
> Date: 6/8/05 11:06:58 A.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _pas@xxxxxxxxx
> (mailto:pas@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
> JK: The upshot is if you, for example, believe in  God, you can
> be  technically diagnosed as having
> >a mental  disorder.
> >CK: (How does a psychiatrist treat  compulsive praying? My  guess is
that
> >this is one of the
> >most prevalent disorders in the  world, only few would admit to it.)
>
> "One man's ceiling is another man's  floor" Paul Simon (mid '70s)
>
> >JK: I found it highly troubling what was  required for  "normalcy".
>
> What is NORMALCY? Local? Citywide?  Statewide? Countrywide?
Continentwide?
> Worldwide?
>
> Does anyone  actually put any stock in these silly things?
>
> Robert Pirsig poses a  question in his Lila something to this effect: "if
> you were the only person  on earth, could you possibly be rightly called
> "insane"?" Who are we  comparing things to? He also proposes the radical
> idea that one 'cure' for  this insanity might be to relocate the
'afflicted'
> to a society that was  more conducive to their 'normalcy'.
>
> We all have our 'craziness' and I  think that Harold Hungerford is
> absolutely right when he says "the bar for  "mental illness" is a lot
lower
> in  the US than it is in much of the  rest of the world."
>
> It's a bit like the 'shocking' statistics that  battered wives shelters
etc.
> trowel out "50% of women have faced some kind  of violence by the time
they
> are 18". I counter it with "oh yeah, by your  definitions, 100% of men
have
> faced some kind of violent attack by the time  they are 18." Does this
mean
> that men are facing crises? Do we need  shelters? These "numbers" are
> meaningless, deliberately shocking, meant for  fear-inducement and not at
> all helpful.
>
> "80% of people will get  cancer some time in their lifetime". Yeah, and
MOST