[lit-ideas] Re: Tune in and turn off

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:24:22 -0500

AA:

As a society we're taught to ignore emotions or to use only "approved" emotions. <<

I've never been a society, so I wouldn't know.

Generally speaking, men are not allowed to feel fear or sadness, but anger is acceptable.<<

I've never met a man not allowed to feel fear of sadness. In fact, every man I know has felt fear and sadness and often and wouldn't hesitate to admit it.

Women are, generally speaking, not allowed to feel anger, but fear is acceptable. <<

I've never met a woman not allowed to feel anger. In fact, every woman I know has felt anger and often and wouldn't hesitate to admit it.

So a man feels fear and converts it to anger.<<

Sometimes, yes, just as women do. Racism and xenophobia and class hatreds are often the product of just such machinations of the mind.

A woman feels anger and converts it to fear.<<

Not being a woman, I can't say how true or false this statement might be, but I do know a lot of women who sometimes convert their anger into rage. I've known termagants, harridans and shrews. I've known women more venomous than Lady Macbeth, but like I say, I can't personally testify as to how women in general deal with their anger.

Both sexes convert sadness and/or anger to lust (hence the popularity of porn).<<

Really? Hmmm. Lust has never seemed to need any help from anything as far as I've been able to discern. It rises phoenix like from the groin fires all glorious and resplendent wholly on it's own as far as I've been able to discern. Sadness and anger would serve to diminish lust would be my guess.

Likewise panic attacks are ways of expressing submerged thoughts and feelings and emotions, as are obsessions, and arguably phobias. <<

Perhaps or perhaps they are symptoms of a chemical imbalance in the brain or neuronal lesions or disease. I suspect those causes much more strongly than suppressed bad thoughts.

An emotion is just energy. Blocked energy causes trouble. The trick is letting the emotion flow such that there are no regrets afterwards.<<

I honestly don't know what this means. I assume it has meaning to you, but the vocabulary is alien to me. "An emotion is just energy" -- well, yes, but then everything is just energy, isn't it? "Blocked energy" -- how does this occur physiologically?

Ah, well, I don't know anything about any of this, I just wanted Andy to know that not everyone agrees with his pontifications.

Mike Geary Memphis