[lit-ideas] Re: Tune in and turn off

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:13:21 -0400

I guess I was annoyed that the concept of don't just do something sit there was
applied to religion, the very institution that is the cause and reason, or at
least excuse, for so much trouble.   Hence my abrupt response to Julie.   It's
too bad people don't apply it to religion first and foremost.  Imagine the
possibilities.  Don't just pray, sit there ...

Date:4/23/06 5:26:55 P.M. Central Daylight Time
From:aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent on:

It doesn't mean much.  People don't even know they're hungry or sleepy half
the time, and those are discrete bodily sensations.  We've had multiple
discussions on phil lit and here that people ?act out? their emotions
because they can't put words to them and deal with them rationally or at
least less destructively.  Let?s take the case of the neighbor that Paul
Stone wrote about, who parks his car in front of Paul?s house.  The
neighbor has to know that it annoys Paul, but he does it anyway.  Why?  Why
did Clinton have the affair with Monica?  Why did Monica have the affair
with Clinton?  Did she have a clue?  Does anyone who has an affair have a
clue other than lust?  Do you think the people who are clamoring for war
would clamor so loud if they had another way to express their anger?  It?s
the whole basis of psychohistory, the reenacting of childhood needs and
patterns through war and conflict.  Psychohistory is large scale behavior;
Bill and Monica is the same idea on an individual level.  (I like Bill
Clinton.)

Ultimately, there are four basic ways men in particular are allowed to
express their emotions in our society:  violence, money, sex, and when all
else fails or is unavailable, depression.  The operative words here are
express their emotions.  If they are not expressing their emotions, what
are they doing?  Deaf children who are not taught language are in this
situation but in a far worse, far more intense way.  They get, say, angry,
can't express it because they don't have the words to say, I hate you
Johnny, so they throw a chair.  Unfortunately, ?normal? people with normal
hearing and speaking skills do the same thing.  They get angry, they hit
their kids, start a war.  Best case scenario, they act passive aggressively
in one form or another.  Parents are among the worst offenders: kid says, I
hate grandma.  Mom says, you don't hate grandma.  Kid thinks, gee, it sure
feels like I hate grandma but maybe I don't hate grandma.  Or the famous
I'll give you something to cry about, meaning, I'm feeling something but
it?s a lot safer not to, so I'll go and smash a window or fail arithmetic
to get back at dad.  Eventually that response to shut down the feeling
becomes automatic.  But feelings won't be shut down, they only go
elsewhere.

So, basically, in response to your question, yes, the word feeling doesn't
mean much.