[lit-ideas] Re: Tune in and turn off

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 05:34:56 -0700 (PDT)

--- Andreas Ramos <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The basis of rationality, indeed, of Western thought
> is deliberative, attentive thought. You
> carry out a processs by paying attention and
> weighing the options. You think by being aware
> of the issue. Indeed, cogito, ergo sum.

But this does not imply self-awareness. When I am
thinking about some complex issue, weighting
approaches, comparing results, I am not thinking about
myself. It seems to me that introspection is fairly
rare, thinking about "How am I feeling" constantly is
a cognitive disorder in my opinion.

From the New Scientis article:

?The regions of the brain involved in introspection
and sensory perception are completely segregated,
although well connected,? says Goldberg, ?and when the
brain needs to divert all its resources to carry out a
difficult task, the self-related cortex is inhibited.?

That mind can be directed to perform a task seems to
me a necessary condition for rational behaviour.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland

http://mail.yahoo.com