[lit-ideas] Re: Tune in and turn off

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:05:55 -0400

> [Original Message]
> From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 4/23/2006 8:35:02 AM
> Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Tune in and turn off

 It seems to me that introspection is fairly
> rare, thinking about "How am I feeling" constantly is
> a cognitive disorder in my opinion.

It's a cognitive disorder nobody has.  If people had a clue what they were
feeling, why would they promote death and destruction and pay good money
for it?  They go to war to scratch an itch that's making them crazy but
that they can't get to, i.e., bothersome feelings they can't reach.  If
people knew what they were feeling, they would stand a chance of ridding
themselves of those feelings instead of starting a war to work off the
anxiety, anger or whatever it is that's bothering them.  That's the whole
basis of psychohistory.  It's also why "don't just do something, sit there"
has never been tried, because emotions want out.  Instead of asking "how am
I feeling" and doing something about their feelings, people start a war.
The need to start a war is an eternal, massive cognitive disorder of
epidemic proportions.  Asking "how am I feeling" not only is not a
disorder, it's never been tried.