[lit-ideas] Re: Theory of democracy...

  • From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:55:16 +0900

On 2004/08/26, at 16:43, Teemu Pyyluoma wrote:

> The important thing here is that party affiliated (5),
> single issue (6) and broad agenda (7) voters
> contribute to open, public policy discussion. And it
> is this, not elections as such that is what democracy
> is all about.

I want to thank Teemu for a sophisticated analysis of how various
voters make their decisions. It strikes me, however, that to consider
"open policy discussion" and not "elections as such" as the essence of
democracy is an academic conceit; we brainy types always like to think
of our words as the most important thing in the world.

I respectfully disagree. Elections, with the possibility of changing
the people in positions of authority without recourse to violence, are,
indeed, the essence of democracy. Without them, all of the open policy
discussions in the world amount to nothing more than entertainment for
the chattering classes (of whom, by the way, I am happy to be one).

John L. McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.
55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku
Yokohama, Japan 220-0006