[lit-ideas] Re: Theory of democracy...

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:25:32 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Paul <Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Aug 26, 2004 12:56 AM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Theory of democracy...

.John expresses the hope that democracy will work. But his hope is based on
idealism. Voters don't know, and worse yet, don't care, what they are voting
on.<

This may be true in national elections; it is surely less true the closer one
gets to a local initiative or referendum.

A.A.  When the issues touch a local cord, usually school budgets, the turnout
is higher or even high.  Without something like that to galvanize them, local
elections go by unnoticed.  I agree with Andreas that if people don't know what
the issues are, then their votes are meaningless.

R.P. I find the claim that voters don't care what they are voting on (as if
they're
just making random marks on something nomially thought of as a 'ballot')
unconvincing. But I'm sure these conclusions aren't meant to apply to anyone on
this list.

A.A. The ones who care enough to vote are likely to know who and what they are
voting for.  The problem is, few vote.  I'm sure there is a way to verify the
stats as to numbers who vote.

Regarding the CNN story about politicians as entertainers (Clinton playing the
sax as the most important thing he did to win the election), I would like to
think it's not true (which is a problem in itself).  On the other hand, Gore
was criticized for having no personality, not on what he stood for.

I suspect Robert Paul has a higher opinion of humanity than I have.

Andy Amago

Robert Paul
Reed College