[lit-ideas] The *who* of *when*?

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 10:07:51 +0200

I can't seem to (as we used to say back then) get my head around the following simile (from the book _The Rule of Four_, by Ian Caldwell & Dustin Thomason):

'My father liked to say that the spirit of his youth was best captured in Immanuel Kant's essay "What is Enlightenment?". Kant, in his mind, was like the Bob Dylan of the 1790's.'

I haven't been able to read any further. (Among other things, I'm left wondering just who 'the Bob Dylan of the 1790's' was and how - either in or out of this character's father's mind - Kant was like him.)

The authors of this book are compared (favourably) in the 'blurbs' on the back to Umberto Eco (along with Scott Fitzgerald and Dan Brown) and the book is hailed as 'an exceptional piece of scholarship'.

Should i persevere?

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany

P.S. The quotation is found on page 47 of the Bantam Dell 2005 export edition.

-cb