[lit-ideas] Phil the Creepy Nihilist.

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:13:18 -0500

Lawrence finds creeping nihilism in Phil's thought.  Well, I guess so, but it
wasn't Phil what started it.  It was Gershwin with his Porgy & Bess.  "I got
plenty of nothing," Porgy sings celebratorily, "And nothing's plenty for me."
That's home baked nihilism if ever I smelled such.  You pegged that one right,
Lawrence,   Phil's been whistling Gershwin for years.  Gershwin was a Jew, you
know.  Not that that makes any difference.  I just mention it for what it's
worth.  I mean, for instance, if Gershwin had been a university professor, he
probably wouldn't have taught from a Christian perspective in his classes.
That's all I'm saying.  A nihilist and an anti-Christian.  No wonder the
college kids are all killing one another like crazy.

Mike Geary
when all is said and done it's time to get a gun.