[lit-ideas] Re: The US Army in mutiny?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 18:04:51 -0700

I didn't think my words would permit the construction you place upon them,
Irene, but then (I suppose) I often think that.  In May 2003 I read The
Mission, Waging War and Keeping Peace with America's Military, Dana Priest,
2003.  She was a great fan of Zinni and seems to admire him more than any of
the other CinCs.  Her chapter three is entitled "The CinCs: Proconsuls to
the Empire."  The CinCs had enormous power and influence in their regions,
and Zinni's included the Middle East before he retired and was replaced by
Tommy Franks.  Zinni was a bit of an Arabist in that he loved to work with
the various leaders.  They respected him and he respected them.  He made up
his own mind about things.  On page 110, for example, Priest writes "But
Zinni saw Pakistan's leader, Gen. Musharraf, as a force pressuring the
Taliban toward moderation.  Acting on that opinion, the Pentagon, led by
Zinni and the Vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Gen. Joseph Raltson, had
single-handedly kept the door open to Pakistan."   I don't question that it
was good that we kept the door open to Pakistan, but "as a force pressuring
the Taliban toward moderation"?  One needs to be ignorant about Islamism or
to have moved fairly far along the Arabist trail to imagine that.

In regard to the recent in history of the Military vs Government, "Clinton
and the military never got along.  For such a smart politician, Clinton had
been so dumb in the beginning regarding his relations with people in
uniform.  But at the same time, on Clinton's watch the military slowly,
without public scrutiny or debate, came to surpass its civilian leaders in
resources and influence around the world."  [p. 42]

[p. 47] "predictably, the military learned to operate in civilian realms,
while their civilian counterparts in every agency were more isolated, less
knowledgeable, and less comfortable with the military world."

I shouldn't need to explain that when Rumsfeld became Secretary of Defense,
the military was no longer going to be permitted to run things to the extent
they did under Clinton, and many resented Rumsfeld for this change.  I can
sympathize with the Generals having been in Aerospace long enough to see
generations of bright but inexperienced young managers brought in to sweep
our endeavors with new brooms.  None of them had the experience I had nor
were they (in my humble opinion) as bright; so our relationships were
invariably stormy.  Zinni had been running things in the Middle East for
years and had kept them running fairly smoothly.  He was probably viewing
Rumsfeld about the way I viewed my young managers.

Did I ever bad-mouth any of my young and inexperienced managers the way
Zinni et al bad-mouthed Rumsfeld.  Alas, I confess that I did, but only to
friends who pretty much knew my opinion anyway.  I never bad-mouthed any of
them if anything important (like an Air Force contract) was on the line.  So
I'd like to think that if I were Zinni I wouldn't risk giving succor to the
Islamists by bad-mouthing Rumsfeld in public.  Some (besides Andreas) have
suggested that Zinni and the others may fear that that Rumsfeld intends to
bomb Iran's nuclear facilities.  Now anyone who feels that the Taliban can
be induced to be moderate may well feel that the same thing is true of the
Iranian leadership, but many (including the administration) think such a
view faulty.

No one can be an Arabist that hasn't lived with them for years.  [see Robert
D. Kaplan's The Arabists, the Romance of an American Elite, 1993.]  A great
number of such people function as though they have gone over to the enemy.
They take on the cause of the nation in which they are living.  This problem
has been endemic with our ambassadorial staff.  I doubt that is true of
Zinni, but he seems to think the Islamists are far more malleable than I
think they are.  In regard to recent discussions he is perhaps more in
sympathy with Fukuyama, Roy, & Kepel than with authors I find more credible.
But a great number of other very knowledgeable people such as Amir Taheri,
Kenneth Timmerman, Jonathan Fenby, Bruce Bawer, Mohammad Mohaddessin, Ilan
Berman, Claire Berlinski, Jean Bethke Elshtain, David Horowitz, Daniel
Pipes, Bernard Lewis, Samuel P. Huntington, Thomas P. M. Barnett, Henry
Munson, Jr., Victor Davis Hanson, Robert Kagan, Richard Miniter, George
Friedman, Paul Berman, Bevin Alexander, and David Selbourne believe the
administration is (more or less) on the right track.

On page 248 of How America Got it Right, Alexander writes "Skeptics of the
U.S. efforts in the Middle East say that the difficulties encountered in
trying to set up democracies in Afghanistan and Iraq - along with Somalia's
inability to create even a functioning government, much less a democracy -
show that equitable societies cannot exist in Muslim lands.  George W. Bush
believes just the opposite, that democracy is possible throughout the Middle
East.  But even if true democracy fails, we will still be partially
successful if we create governments that are merely less oppressive.  Such
governments are unlikely to harbor terrorists.  And eliminating terrorism is
our principle goal."

Lawrence

  _____