[lit-ideas] Re: The US Army in mutiny?

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 08:37:40 -0400

The irony is that civilians were put in charge of the military by the Founding
Fathers to prevent historical abuses by the military, such as military
dictatorships.  Congress was intended to oversee the civilians.  But, with an
estimated 35,000 lobbyists in Washington
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/21/AR2005062101632.html),
 Congressional oversight is all but nonexistent.  The public was intended to
supervise Congress, but the public is clueless and gullible (the Founding
Fathers anticipated the limitations of the public and instituted the Electoral
College).  Now it seems there's a new twist on this
democracy-turned-corporate-welfare-state and the military have become the ones
speaking up against civilian abuses.  It's too soon to know what reception they
will get, but so far it looks like they'll be either unheard or sent packing.