[lit-ideas] Re: The Iran Charade

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:53:38 -0500

--- Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That is exactly why the Powell Doctrine was
developed--to prevent our warmongers getting us
into wars that our pacifists would lose.

Judy: This is satire, right?

Eric: Not at all. To a large extent, wars are won
or lost by the degree of public support they
gather. The Powell Doctrine has several components
which work together.

First to exclude the possibility of warmongers
making rash decisions (the old Commie term
"adventurism"):

1. war is only a last resort, undertaken
2. only if there is a clear risk to national security,
3. should be overwhelming and disproportionate to
the force used by the enemy (no war on the cheap).

Second to ensure massive public support and deny
the anti-war (better term than pacifist) groups
any political traction:

1.  there must be strong support for the campaign
by the general public,
2. there must be a clear exit strategy from the
conflict in which the military is engaged.