[lit-ideas] The Essence of This

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 16:34:44 EDT

In a message dated 10/4/2004 2:57:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rmitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Donal is  "rooting for anti-essentialism"

- on a computer presumably purchased  with an eye towards its power, speed,
memory, durability, etc.,  etc.

- the "virtues" (i.e., "excellences") that determine how well that  device
performs the functions that he bought it for.

In that  respect, I don't know how one would anti-essentially  purchase
anything.

----

Exactly. Note that a computer, essentially, computes.

While a word-processor word-processes (words).

(cf. McEvoy's irreverent, "A philosopher bullshits").

McEvoy, like Popper, does not believe in _essences_. In this, he reminds me
of Andy Amago, who, too, says that life is meaningless.

Cheers,

JL