[lit-ideas] Cabbages and Kings (Was: Telos)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 16:31:55 EDT

The time has come," the Walrus  said,
To talk of many  things:
Of shoes--and ships--and  sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and  kings--
And why the sea is boiling  hot--
And whether pigs have wings."
In a message dated 10/4/2004 3:55:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx writes:

>In Ancient Greece there was a word ["arete"] that meant
>(roughly) "virtue", which  actually  meant that
>something functioned according to its intended  purpose
> -- an arrow  which flew from a bow and shot something
>was behaving "virtuously", while a  pitcher which was
>intended to pour water, if it struck the same animal
>and killed  it, was not.

-----

Again, I'm not sure the Greeks used 'virtue' (arete), but they possibly  did.

As I mentioned in the other post, that Donal McEvoy commented ("a
philosopher bullshitter"), Grice gives two examples:

      A tiger tigerises.

-- which Donal McEvoy sees as _essentialist_ while I see as slightly
'tautological'.

The other example Grice gives is the cabbage that cabbages:

Grice writes:

"It does not require very sharp eyes, but only the  willingness to use the
eyes one has, to see that our speech -- and our thought  -- are permeated with
the notion of _purpose_ [Greek 'telos', rather than  'arete' -- JLS]."

"To say that a certain kind of thing [x -- JLS] _is_ is, only too
frequently, *partly* to say what it is for."

"This feature applies  to our talk and thought of, for example, ships, shoes,
sealing wax, and kings;  and, possibly and perhaps more excitingly, it
extends even to  cabbages."

    [The reference is to Lewis Carroll -- JLS]

"I suspect that it applies to items which are related, in one or another of
a variety of ways, to the notion of _life_ (including that notion itself)."
(Grice, _Aspects of Reason_, Clarendon Press, p. 35).

Cheers,

JL