[lit-ideas] Re: The Essence of This

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 17:31:22 -0700 (PDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Oct 6, 2004 8:53 AM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: The Essence of This

> A.A.  What meaning does life have?  Life exists.  Life ends.  It may feel
> good or bad in the existing, but where is the meaning?
>

> Andy

"Where"? As in _where_ does this "meaning" exist?

If all that is being asked is to give some examples of "meanings" that life
has or can have: the pursuit of truth, justice, art, happiness. All these can
give life meaning, indeed some give a meaning that transcends an individual's
life and the value of that life ie. they are worth dying for.

A.A. Don't you think, though, that pursuing truth, justice, etc. wouldn't
happen if one didn't enjoy it, or wasn't brainwashed into it (that odious
little chick flick Two Weeks Notice comes to mind).  Therefore, the goal is the
feeling good, or feeling bad, if that is one's inclination, not the justice,
art, etc. per se.  We can call it meaning, but isn't it really the search for
pleasure?

Andy

Donal

Messenger - all new features - even more fun!  http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com