[lit-ideas] Re: The Essence of This

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 08:17:25 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Oct 8, 2004 8:32 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: The Essence of This

There was a book about the ways in which societies with religion were
generally more successful than societies without religion.

A.A. The only society I can think of without religion were/are the Communists.
It can be argued that Communists turned Communism into a religion and
Marx/Lenin into gods.  They were not successful, perhaps because they had the
wrong god.  Hitler had that quasi-religion he subscribed to.

U.S. Enter stage
left:  Evolution.  Next scene:   No societies without religion.
 Something to do with everybody pulling in the same direction, I seem to
remember.

A.A. Within the group there's harmony.  Between groups, there's hell to pay.
Within groups, there's often a schism into true believers and them.

U.S. The pertinent question is, do we want what's good for society
or do we want what's good for individuals?   (Bertrand Russell took a
good long look at this and opened an alternative school, didn't he?)
 Usually can't have it both ways.

A.A.  Peace among groups is good for individuals.  Ask the warring apes who
exterminated themselves to the last member.  Can't have prosperity without
peace either, unless one wants a career as a drug lord, often a short-lived
career.

U.S.  then there's the guy here at our neighbour institution, Laurentian
University, with the theory about the god-shaped hole we have in our
lives or psyches.  He of the god-helmet.

A.A. This is probably the crux of the genetic argument.  It's a universal hole
and will be filled with what's at hand, be it the standard god derivatives,
vegetarianism, atheism, capitalism, communism, whatever.  "You have to believe
in something."  The search for meaning.

U.S.. Read Ecclesiastes, yes.  And then read Gilgamesh, paying especial
attention to Siduri, the little barmaid.  Barmaids know a lot.

A.A.  I got a headstart on the day today.  Some nice person was doing target
practice at 6:00 in the morning.  It was still dark.  Does Ecclessiastes save
the soul of the sleep deprived?  The Little Mermaid is on video, so that should
be easy.

Andy Amago

Ursula,
wishing all the Canadians here food and fun and fellowhip...
(what the hell, the rest of you have a great weekend, too.)