[lit-ideas] Re: The Bush Button

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 08:54:12 -0500

I have probably been reading too much about Stalin, but all this domestic
spying and eavesdropping has given me pause.  I don't feel the same way
about talking about politics the way I used to.  Mike is absolutely
correct.  When I read his post, my reaction was, oh my God, what will Big
Brother think of this?   The U.S. I knew is no more.  Comrade Eric and
Comrade Lawrence certainly need not fear.  Tell me I'm wrong, tell me it's
a phase I was in.  Tell me Islamists are the problem and we're not
withering away from within.  Marlena, what do you think?

Eric, in the documentary Control Room, about al Jazeera, the producer is
actually a fan of the U.S.  He says in the beginning of the documentary
that he wants his children to be educated in the U.S.  He clearly loves and
admires the U.S.  After the invasion, there is a shift, a disillusioning.
Of course, you'll think it's all Islamist propaganda anyway, so what's the
point.  At least Bill Buckley has the guts to look at the truth, so maybe
there's hope.