[lit-ideas] Re: The Bush Button

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 00:41:47 EST

Speaking of poor dopes ....

_http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4765058.stm_
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4765058.stm)

Video shows Bush Katrina warning

Video  has been obtained by a US news agency showing President George W Bush
being briefed by officials on the eve of the Hurricane Katrina disaster.
The confidential video obtained by the Associated Press shows very  strong
warnings being given to Mr Bush about the potential strength of the  storm.
It appears to contradict subsequent suggestions by the Bush  administration
that the threat had been unclear.
Critics say more could have been done sooner to evacuate the city.

Speaking by video link from a room in his Texan holiday ranch on 28  August
last year, Mr Bush is shown telling officials: "We are fully  prepared".
He does not ask any questions as the situation is outlined to him.
Along with the video, AP obtained transcripts of seven days of  briefings
relating to Katrina.
Clear warning
The footage does the president no favours, the BBC's Justin Webb  reports
from Washington.

It shows plainly worried officials telling Mr Bush very clearly before  the
storm hit that it could breach New Orleans flood barriers.
In the past, the president has said nobody anticipated a breach but the
video shows Michael Brown, the top emergency response official who has  since
resigned, saying the storm would be "a bad one, a big one".
"We're going to need everything that we can possibly muster, not only  in
this state and in the region, but the nation, to respond to this  event," Mr
Brown says.
He also gives a strong, clear warning that evacuees in the Super Dome  in New
Orleans could not be given proper assistance.
'Very, very grave'
Another official, Max Mayfield of the National Hurricane Center, tells  the
final briefing that storm models predict minimal flooding inside New  Orleans
during the hurricane.
But he adds that the possibility of anticlockwise winds and storm  surges
could cause the levees at Lake Pontchartrain to be overrun  afterwards is
"obviously a very, very grave concern".
His concern was borne out by events when levees collapsed, letting in  the
floodwater disastrously.
The president, however, said four days after the storm: "I don't think
anybody anticipated the breach of the levees."
Mr Bush later accepted he shared some of the responsibility for the  flawed
response to Katrina and the White House talked of the "fog of war"  rendering
decision-making difficult.
Michael Brown told AP this week that he did not "buy the 'fog of war'
defence".
"It was a fog of bureaucracy," he said.
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: The Bush Button
Date: 3/1/06 11:19:50 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yeah, but who wants a poor dope in charge of their
country?

Freedonia, in the Groucho Marx  movie.