[lit-ideas] Re: Sustaining our Resolve

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:48:56 -0700

Not according to the definition we came to in a discussion awhile back.  I
would have argued the other way back then, but the question of French
Resistance became crucial.  Was the French Resistance a terrorist
organization?  Although the Germans called it one, it wasn't insofar as it
operated against the German occupation forces.  The term "Guerilla" better
fits its activities.   Also, the Irgun inasmuch as it didn't target
civilians doesn't qualify as having performed terrorist acts or meet the
definition of a terrorist organization.  It too was a guerilla organization
engaged in guerilla-type acts against an occupying force.

Terrorism is after all a tactic.  The French Resistance probably wouldn't
have balked at killing German civilians.  They just didn't have access to
them.  The Irgun did kill some civilians but it didn't target civilians.

The Hezbollah was created by Khomeini, specifically by the Iranian
Revolutionary Guard, to export the Khomeini Islamist revolution.  Hezbollah
has used terrorist tactics.  Terrorist tactics are part of its stock and
trade so it, as they are for Hamas, and this qualifies it as a Terrorist
organization, but the attack against Israel killing 8 soldiers and
kidnapping 2 wasn't a terrorist act per se.  Probably because Hezbollah has
settled in Southern Lebanon it functions more now as a paramilitary
organization.  It wouldn't mind killing Israeli civilians as its rocketing
indicates, but it has other goals at present.

Lawrence