[lit-ideas] Re: Sustaining our Resolve

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 17:39:06 -0700

Andeas:  Ordinarily I'd love to interact with your ill-informed
poorly-researched abusive anti-American notes, but Irene maxed me out and I
ended up telling her to go talk to someone else -- or words to that effect.
In her case I had no one particularly in mind, but you are in luck.  Since
then Lit-Ideas has acquired a new member, Jack Sprat, who started a
discussion called "Islam 'R Us."  I know you don't like long notes but his
is short: check it out:

As new member of this list a question is on my mind. If the Christian and
philosophical underpinnings of the west are built upon the thoughts of
Aristotle, and these thoughts were preserved by Islamic scholars while
Europe was wallowing in the Platonic Dark Ages, why this disengagement by
westerners from recognizing Islam as a major contributor to what the west
has become? Rather than comparing the US to Rome would it not be more
helpful to compare it to Islam? After all Islam is a scientific,
philosophical, religious and warrior empire that survived, not to mention
that it is an empire that cannot be defined geographically not unlike the
spread of unrestrained global capitalism. It may be that the west's thought
processes run along the same lines as Islam but denial is a strong force.

Irene didn't take long to find Jack and responded with something downright
provocative: Mr. Spratt, welcome to the list.  I assume you're an American,
even if you presumably eat no fat.  This is an interesting premise.  Perhaps
it's because Islam only preserved, didn't create, where the Greeks created.
But then, the Romans copied the Greeks.  Christianity was to some extent
based in philosophy, while Islam is strictly theology.  The Europeans veered
away from religion with the advent of the Renaissance, while Islam veered
more strongly toward religion.  Religion is a perpetual Dark Ages.
Sometimes we clash with that which we see ourselves in.  We, the U.S., don't
want to admit we're moving into, or have moved into, a new Dark Ages, so we
reject that part of ourselves by giving it onto others, the Islamists.  In
that sense We Are Islam, and Islam is Us.

Well, that should get you going, Andreas.  Have fun.  I'm sure my hostility
toward Leftist/Islamist anti-American traitors will dissipate in due time
and I'll be back to enjoying yours and Irene's notes as before.

Lawrence

From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> 1)       We removed a Militant Islamic enemy, one who harbored terrorists,

one who practiced his pan-Arabism by invading one of our allies, one who

desired, acquired and used WMDs, and one who has supported terrorist

activities.

Andreas: What a string of false facts. . . yada yada yada deleted