[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday waffle...

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:38:44 EDT

:

I had a student once who wrote, in a  final exam, a sentence
about Noa Zark.

My father, who had a PhD in philosophy and a Masters in Divinity,  taught a
class to a group of freshmen on the Old Testament.  He had  recently covered
the plagues in Egypt which culminated in the freedom of the  Hebrews from
Egypt.
 His exams were always essay-style.  When one  question asked was to choose a
particularly meaningful aspect of the passage of  the escape of the Hebrews,
and why it was meaningful, one thoughtful student  merely wrote "I liked the
part about the frogs".

I think that was the year my Father went back to computer  programming.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Sunday waffle...
Date: 5/30/05 11:42:16 A.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _Ursula@xxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sadly, we can no longer take for granted that our  students understand
the many cultural references (most obviously the Bible  and Shakespeare)
that generations of past students were expected to have at  their
fingertips.  I had a student once who wrote, in a final exam, a  sentence
about Noa Zark.  (I shudder to think how this story reflects  on my
teaching, of course.)   Perhaps they learn too much of their  language
through their ears, and too little through their eyes.    More proof: the
legions who don't differentiate between 'past' and  'passed.'

It's tempting as we get on in years, to imagine some distant  'golden
age' when students were more prepared (and men were men and women  were
quiet?...).   Perhaps a truer answer lies in who goes to  college these
days.   If public policy encourages everyone to  attend (keeps them out
of the job market and off the streets, after all),  perhaps the lowering
of expectations and standards is inevitable but not  really indicative of
worse teaching or learning.
Ursula
North  Bay