[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday waffle...

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:00:49 -0700

> Having lived through this transition and, thus, of course, having
> only a frog in a well's perspective on what was really going on, I
> offer the following observations.

"Frog in a well"? I've not heard that lesbian slang in quite some time.

> I discovered that his contact with
> mathematics had ended with Algebra I.  He was clueless when it came
> to the notion of limits on which the calculus is constructed.

In the work that I currently do, we deal with a great amount of numbers. Many
of these are
averages or percentages, and most of these are logarithms. I and my business
partner have
noticed that all of the engineers immediately understand how to look at a page
of these
numbers, but the non-engineers (mostly marketing people) are completely
clueless about
numbers. They make bad business decisions because they don't understand numbers.

And it's nearly impossible to explain these numbers to non-technical people.
They simply
can't understand them. I explain it carefully and next week, they misunderstand
all over
again. In our weekly and monthly reports to clients, we've begun to leave out
many numbers
because they're misleading.

yrs,
andreas