[lit-ideas] lit-ideas public apology

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 10:43:10 EDT

Hi, Brian,

I'll try to explain a tiny bit of what tipped me over the edge--though I DO
apologize for causing you to feel affronted (esp as it no doubt did keep you
from seeing my thoughts on some of the issues...)

Let's see...you have called people 'silly and pathetic', have suggested  that
someone enjoy living in a 'welfare state' (not, in my mind far from what
they are doing in Houston, though, so maybe that was what you meant...seems
that
our pres and his Congress recently gave Texas about a billion dollars to
subsidize the health care system there in light of the use of the hospital use
of illegal immigrants [the number I have heard here was that illegal immigrants
 costs each taxpayer in Houston about $981 per person...  So it seems that
subsidized health care is 'okay' if the people we are taking care of are not
'our own'.  But, I suppose that is because people seem here to be  convinced
[as our president does] that Texas/Houston's economy would fall apart  if there
was not illegal immigration...Not sure I see how that would happen [it  does
not seem to fall apart elsewhere in the country.  Though the issue of  illegal
immigration has been fascinating and one which all the different circles  I've
been seeing/talking to seem to have interesting thoughts on, actually...the
funniest one was the crossness that the US needs to open its southern border
but  Mexico won't open its border and let the Hondurans in who are trying to do
 so...)

Oh, and about the daughter of the friend of yours...I do publicly apologize
if I misunderstood you...my sense was that you had major problems with how our
 government does subsidize people in need esp in regards to health care--it
sounded, to me, like you would have wanted to have your friend's child tossed
out in the street rather than being glad that all that could possibly be done
 was done... [but maybe it was because you thought the little one would be
dead shortly or would have a horrible quality of life?]

"  The daughter of a friend of mine is without
insurance and just  had her second child and she hasn't paid anything
for either births (from the  doctor visits all the way up to the
hospital bills.  Her daughter just  born is badly deformed and they
only expect her to live days, not weeks, all  paid for by the American
public)."

I remembered talking to a tow truck driver whose child had the  same
condition that my child had--and his wife got to stay home and I  didn't...and
we had
begged borrowed [and would have stolen had we not been able  to do the other,
probably <wry look>] in order to provide care to my  child as we *were* told
that they would not care for him and would let him  die/have a horrible quality
of life if we didn't come up with the  money.  Somehow this other family had
figured out the whole jumping  through hoops [though I think we may have made
too much money to qualify  and that was why we were not offered that
alternative--we *could* borrow  money...even though it later cause such
significant
stress that I am convinced  it also caused a cracking to occur in terms of my
child's parents'  ability to cope with life)    But, I do not begrudge that
that
man's child was able to be taken care of and that the mom got her dream come
true of staying home to take care of him.  But, on the one hand, we are
supposed to care about the 'breakdown of the American family' and yet, do not
realize what stressors there are on it and try to remove them.

and I think I wondered if your friend knew that you begrudged the medical
care for his/her child...and I apologize if I misunderstood you.  I was  merely
trying to express how I would feel if someone had felt that about my
child...esp in the beginning when things were so horribly questionable in
terms of
ever figuring out what to do.  I cannot imagine how awful it would  be to know
that the chance of doing something for your baby might be so slim  that people
would think it ridiculous and a waste of taxpayer money to  try.  But, I can
understand your friend's desire to try...and if that  little one has died, I
ache for her/him and if not, then wish I could make it  easier to walk through
the hard times...and I do NOT mean that in any sort of  patronizing way.  There
was an 'underground' movement of moms who spread  the word about me/my child
and I got cards and letters from people I did not  know whose little ones had
been in awful situations.  It helped me walk  through those hardest of
times...and I do what I can when I hear of Others...and  even if I do not know
if my
electrical thoughts sent in the air will ever  connect and provide assistance,
I still send them out...

As far as my version of Christianity <wry look>, please feel free to  take
the whole of Christianity and be the 'model'.  I do not go there at  this point
in time, though I have been there much in the past, and have done  much
thinking of the 3000 Scriptures towards the poor (Ron Sider, I think it was
[?],
was one of the people who listed them all ... though there have been many
others...including my former retired library director who was the one most
recently to talk about the Church in the Book of Acts.  He and his wife are
simply
incredible people--and he lives his life so that anyone who DID have  problems
with the concept of Christianity would at least 'pause' and know that  there
are a few out there who live not just bits and pieces but continue to do  the
'going through the loop' [to borrow from Dr Deming' and go deeper and
deeper...)

I do, indeed, publically apologize to you, Brian, that I come across  as
'patronizing' to you.  That is not my intent...so I will try to figure  out a
way
to communicate my thoughts in a manner which does not do so.

Hoping everyone has a day filled with at least one happy moment,
Marlena (usually in Missouri)