[lit-ideas] Re: See SAW

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 22:59:28 -0700

Yeah, but I wonder which news sources are influencing them.  Are any of them
pro-American?  We paid for Al Iraqiya; so that one should be okay, but is
it?  We can't expect Al Jazeera to be pro-US.  Al Arabiya is from that city
that we would let run our ports.  Are they still our ally.  The BBC wasn't
pro US the last time I checked - oh maybe in spots.  I think CNN is safe.
But notice that this doesn't add up to 100 and it doesn't indicate which
source they trust:

2. Which are the channels that you received at home without difficulties?

Total

Baghdad

Shi'ite areas

Sunni areas

Kurdish areas

Al Iraqiya

84%

92

89

84

52

Al Jazeera

33%

38

22

44

34

Al Arabiya

33%

38

22

44

33

BBC

15%

9

11

19

16

CNN

 9%

9

7

11

10

But back to the point:   I asked Andreas, "Are you arguing that the largely
Shiite government doesn't want our continued support?"

Andreas seemed to think he was providing evidence that the Shiite government
didn't want our continued support, but nothing he provided contained that
evidence.  I responded to his note and then reposted it when Andreas lost
it.

One of the messages Andreas posted indicates a timetable:
<http://www.juancole.com/2005/11/iraqis-ask-for-withdrawal-timetable-ap.html

http://www.juancole.com/2005/11/iraqis-ask-for-withdrawal-timetable-ap.html
"they said that the withdrawal would be completed over a period of two years
(i.e. November 2007). This timetable, al-Hayat says, appears actually to
have been put forward by the Americans themselves."

All along we have said that we would leave when they could handle their own
problems.  We would provide ongoing support until they could handle things
on their own.   They say the same thing in the website Andreas posted, "We
demand the withdrawal of foreign forces in accordance with a timetable, and
the establishment of a national and immediate program for rebuilding the
armed forces through drills, preparation and being armed, on a sound basis
that will allow it to guard Iraq's borders and to get control of the
security situation . . ."

Lawrence