[lit-ideas] Re: See SAW

Once again, there is a problem with your logic.  You quote me as asking,
"Are you arguing that the largely Shiite government doesn't want our
continued support?"

You follow with what you obviously feel is an adequate response to my
question and provide a USA Today survey of the Iraqi people.  How does a
survey of the Iraqi people answer a question about what the "largely Shiite
government" wants?  Answer: it doesn't.

However, let us ignore the fact that you haven't shown that the largely
Shiite government no longer wants our support and look at the survey (for
what it is worth, not for answering my question, which it doesn't):
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2004-04-28-gallup-iraq-findings.htm

Notice in question 2 which sources they get their news from.  Are these
pro-American & British sources?  Not for the most part.

Question 8 says that 61% of the Shiites (not 80%) want the US & British
forces out immediately.  Note that 96% of the Kurds want us to stay.

Question 16 shows more Shiites saying they would fell less safe (after US &
British forces leave) than those who feel more safe.

Question 23 may be the most revealing of the lot.  It asks whether the
US/British invasion of Iraq was worth it (despite whatever hardships they
suffered) to get rid of Saddam.  74% of the Shiites and 97% of the Kurds
said it was worth it.  Only 28% of the Sunnis said it was worth it.

Lawrence