[lit-ideas] Re: Scrushy and the King of Arkansas

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 20:49:56 EST

Dennis Miller, Bill Maher.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Scrushy and the
King of Arkansas  Date: 12/3/05 6:44:38 PM Central Standard Time  From:
_atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
DR asks:
> Who do you currently find funny?

The humor I find most rewarding is that which comes out at  moments most
inappropriate to humor.  In that vein, I think Lorrie  Moore's _Birds of
America_
is one of the funniest and most poignant collection  of short stories I've
ever read.  For pure witticisms, it's still  Wilde as far as I'm concerned.
American bourgeois comedy of manners?   Neil Simon's still king.  Wonderfully
silly farce -- in America: Mel  Brooks; in Great Britain -- Monty Python (and
many
of the movies by those  same actors), also the Black Adder people.  One of
the funniest novels  I've read in the last 20 years was _A Confederacy of
Dunces_, by O'Toole -- take  it out to 40 years and I'd have to include _The
Sot
Weed Factor_ by  Barth and _The Ginger Man_, by Donleavy -- they were my
introduction to  absurdity, I'm not sure I'd still find them so hilarious now,
but
only  because that worldview is so commonplace now -- except among the Cheney's

of course, they're still true believers in their righteousness.  The most
humorous essayists award goes to David Sedaris and Sarah Vowel.  They  are
unerring in their perceptions of humorous social incongruities.   Stand up
comedy?
-- no one can touch Steven Wright, though I do like Chris  Rock whereas David
can't find the humor there -- to me it's almost all  attitudinal:

"We were so poor my  daddy unplugged the clocks when we went to bed."
"Do you know what the  good side of crack is? If you're up at the right hour,
you can get a VCR for  $1.50. You can furnish your whole house for $10.95."

"_Gun control? We need bullet control! I think every  bullet should cost
5,000 dollars. Because if a bullet cost five thousand dollar,  we wouldn't have
any innocent bystanders._
(http://en.thinkexist.com/quotation/gun-control-we-need-bullet-control-i-think-every/347003.html)
 "
"Yeah, I love being famous. It's almost  like being white, y'know? People are
nice to ya, they give you the benefit o'  the doubt... You drive a flash car
down the freeway and the cops'll pull y'over  and before they even look they
like 'What the f**k are you doing?' and then they  see it's you and they like
'Awww man, it's Chris Rock, it's okay, man we thought  you was a nigga'."
And of course, there's probably his most  famous quotable: "You know the
world is going crazy when the best rapper is a  white guy, the best golfer is a
black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is  Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's
Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of  arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to
war, and the three most powerful men in  America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and
'Colon'."

I think the funniest TV sit-coms ever  have been Seinfeld and The Larry
Sanders Show.  Memphis has  spoken.

Mike Geary