[lit-ideas] Re: Scrushy and the King of Arkansas

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 20:18:53 -0500

A.A. Hater of what?

And you have no sense of humour.

A.A. None.

> I do admire Clinton.  Best American president in recent times.

A.A. I'm glad to hear that.  Obviously you're a man with a brain.
Seriously.  I hear he's supporting Bush on Iraq.  It has to be because
there's nothing to be done but pull the wagons in a circle, not because the
invasion was a good move.   He's stepping up to the plate because nobody
else is.

Carter
> could have been better but circumstances were against him.

A.A. I agree.  I recently read a comparison of Reagan's words with Carter's
words.  Reagan was surprisingly negative and war-like, while Carter was
actually upbeat.  I'll dig it up and post it.  The point of the thing I
read was that people favor war-like.  That's why Reagan was popular.

The anecdote
> is funny and I'll bet Clinton thought it very funny and probably
> well-deserved.

A.A. David Ritchie tells me it is actually from Clinton's book.  Like I
said, it loses something in the retelling.  Maybe it was funny because
Clinton was joking about himself, while I read it as a joke on someone
else.  It proves my point, though, that not many people would enjoy being
called a dog amid negative imagery.  Clinton obviously had a very good
sense of humor, part of his charisma, to take the beatings he took and
still be as effective as he was.

Andy Amago