To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2005 4:57 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Scrushy and the King of Arkansas

On Dec 1, 2005, at 1:36 PM, Andy Amago wrote:

He has high praise for the porter
at the Oxford college he attended, a fellow of the sort I never meet
hereabouts, a man prone to reminding all around him, like a Greek
chorus, of the dangers of hubris. Returning to the college after he
was first elected governor, and feeling proud of his achievements,
Clinton was greeted by the fellow, "Ah Clinton," the man said, "I
hear you've just been made king of some place with three men and a dog."

I like to think this loses something in the retelling. Three men and a
dog. One is tempted to think Rove, Cheney and Rumsfeld with a dog named
Iraq and Bush being crowned, or beaned, as the case may be. Dash it all.
We'll just have to wait for Bush's memoir to find out.

Andy Amago

I tried this anecdote on one of my classes. They didn't find it funny either. On my end, I'm trying to imagine why it's not funny. People who can turn an amusing, gentle insult are a throwback to what? Eighteenth century wit? Pope and Moliere and so on. Very alien to a culture that believes in affirmation, self esteem, taking offense.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon