[lit-ideas] Re: SUNDAY POEM

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 18:37:10 -0700

Irene,

I don't think you are Jack Sprat.

As to the subject I get most upset with you about, let me say that I am
regularly considering a number of different points of view.  My mind isn't
made up about what we ought to do in the Middle East or in regard to
Militant Islam.  I am still reading books that say the threat isn't as
serious as some say it is, for example Olivier Roy's Globalized Islam.  He
didn't convince me that the hostility against the West and the Infidel was
any less, but he did convince me that the Sayyid Qutb idea of a unified
ummah, a worst-case scenario as far as we are concerned, is never going to
happen.

I don't have a vested interest in Liberal-Democracy being exported to Iraq.
I can sympathize with Bush's wanting to do that.  It is very Wilsonian of
him, but I see that elsewhere in the world nations are fragmenting into
their component parts and that may occur in Iraq as well.

I see our efforts as succeeding from a strategic standpoint.  Before 9/11
there were several nations that posed a strategic threat to our interests in
the region.  Now there is only one.  The squabbling going on in Iraq is a
nuisance, but not a strategic or even a very serious tactical threat.  At
some point the Iraqi government is going to be able to say, "We've got the
military force to handle things," and we can leave

Or, Iraq will proceed to a Civil war.  In which case the Kurds will be our
best Middle Eastern allies after Israel and they can avoid being embroiled
in the Civil War.  They can declare their independence.  The Shiites will be
able to control the rest of the nation and the Sunnis will be lucky to hang
onto anything.  They will be reaping the harvest of the insurgency they've
been sowing; which will be interesting.  But from a strategic standpoint,
whatever happens will not move Iraq into the category of a nation that
threatens us.

I seek out the best publications to keep me informed about these matters so
I get on your case, and Andreas', when you don't know these things but
instead indicate that you believe really bizarre things about the US and
about matters in the Middle East.  I am considering, as I said, a number of
different points of view, but not the bizarre, and not conspiracy theories.
I recently jumped on you only after you had been presenting some of your
bizarre Leftist views in several notes with no one countering you.  I felt I
could let this go on only so long, but I'd really rather not debate Leftists
views.  There are so many really interesting things I'd rather talk about.
I had high hopes for Jack Sprat, but alas . . .

Lawrence, feeling temporarily benign